Sunday, October 2, 2011

Salmon Fish Cakes - Food Revolution


It was pretty hilarious. The day that I made these for dinner, I had the TV on and I was listening to an old Julia Child program on the DVR. She was making a classic fish chowder…. of course, just for fun she pronounced it ‘cha-dah.’  (like about 100 times) She actually made the fish broth using about 10 different types of fish – the bones, skin, heads, fins…… she recommended leaving the eyeballs in for extra flavor….. ugh.

If you have seen this episode, then you know she chops this fish in two with the BIGGEST knife on Earth! She had such gusto!  (Have you seen the episode when she cuts up a chicken with a sword? Classic.)

The funniest part of the show is when Julia says, “If you have good relations with your fish monger you can have him prepare the fish for you.” Good relations? Am I the only person who thinks that is hilarious? 

These Salmon Fish Cakes are excellent.  See Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution website here for the recipe.  


Here's basically what you do:

Gather potatoes, salmon, parsley, and and egg. I used fresh salmon, with the skin and bones carefully removed. 


Follow Jamie Oliver's advice and steam the salmon in a colander over a pot where you are gently boiling the potatoes. I thought it was very strange, but it worked perfectly. 


See how beautiful the salmon is? Since you will be frying the patties later, it does not need to be overly cooked at this point.


Mash the potatoes. Add the salmon, egg and parsley.


Form the mixture into a round and divide into serving size patties. I doubled the recipe from what was suggested. 


Dust the patties with flour. Fry in a bit of oil until nicely golden and crisp on both sides. 


These were excellent! 

(no printable recipe today, simple click here to see the original recipe on the Food Revolution site)

One Year Ago: Mom's Minestrone (easy and perfect for a quick meal) 

4 comments:

  1. That's so funny about the eyeballs!! the fish cakes look delicious!
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Julia Child! Think of how she changed the world of American food and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom used to watch Julia Child as a kid, but I don't remember the episodes at all. Your notes on the episode make me want to watch her though! I could use a good laugh. I've never made fish cakes before. I'll definitely try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up on salmon (canned) patties (inexpensive protein). Yours are a huge step above those.

    Julia Child was the greatest.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!