Sunday, April 8, 2012

Banana Bread : Martha Stewart Living’s Most Requested Recipe

Hello Dear Readers, I hope your Easter weekend was great - filled with friends, family and great food! I would like to share a fabulous song that expresses the message of Easter in such a powerful way! It's called "The Power of the Cross" and is sung by Kristyn Getty. Enjoy! 




Excellent in every way – like Martha herself, some might say. I admit that I am not a big Martha Stewart aficionado, but every recipe of hers that I have made has been of the highest quality. This one is no different. (check out her recipe for Beef Burgundy for example – heaven.)

I usually make my mom’s banana bread recipe, which is pretty basic. I also like the Moosewood Cookbook recipe, but that one is a little complex – you know, orange zest and 1 cup of brewed coffee and stuff like that.  

This one has sour cream which made a super moist and tender loaf. Enjoy!


Here’s what you need:
1 stick butter – room temperature
1 C granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ C flour
1 t baking soda
1 t salt
1 C mashed very ripe bananas
½ C sour cream
1 t vanilla
½ C chopped walnuts or pecans

Here’s what you do:

1.       Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan; set aside. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, and beat to incorporate.

2.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture, and mix until just combined. Add bananas, sour cream, and vanilla; mix to combine. Stir in nuts, and pour into prepared pan.

3.       Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour 10 minutes (I should have baked mine a bit longer, I used more than the recommended amount of bananas, so it was a bit moist. No one in my house complained, though!)

4.       Let rest in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool. 

Luckily, we have enough cream cheese to get us through this loaf. ..... 




5 comments:

  1. I love banana bread - especially toasted and dripping with butter!
    Yum
    T x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a nice Easter! I love banana bread...it's always so comforting...and a great way to use those really ripe 'nanas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had banana bread in quite a long time. I'm going to need to change that - this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM - so interesting that Banana bread is the more requested recipe!! sounds delicious
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me encanta tu receta, tiene que estar deliciosa y estoy feliz porque la traducción de tu idioma al mío ha sido muy buena. La haré seguro.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!