Saturday, November 23, 2013

Garlicky Mexican Salad with Fresh Tomato Dressing


It’s probably too chilly to be thinking about cold salads, but this one is worth making no matter what the weather. Right now, for example, the white stuff is gently falling from the grey sky right outside my window and I am drinking hot coffee, but I still love to think about getting cold, crunchy, light salads into my weekly menu. The way I look at it – you can always throw in a grilled quesadilla or some toasty garlic bread to balance out the flavors and temperatures. Plus, don’t some of you live in warmer climes? Lucky.
This is a riff on Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s Big Fat Taco Salad. I added roasted potatoes and fresh avocado. Sometimes I add a little Ranch Dressing (or try Isa’s Sanctuary Dressing, which is a riff on traditional Ranch….)and it’s delish!

Here’s what you need:
Iceberg lettuce – cold and crispy
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
Fresh avocado
Roasted potatoes – Yukon
1 pound fresh tomatoes – maybe 3 average size tomatoes
¼ C fresh cilantro
A clove garlic, grated
1 T red wine vinegar
2 t cayenne hot sauce
Black pepper and salt to taste



Here’s what you do:
Cut the potatoes in quarters and drizzle them with olive oil. Roast them in a 400 degree oven until crispy – about 30 minutes. I like to turn my over so they toast evenly on all sides.
Meanwhile, chop lettuce and get beans and avocados ready.

To make the dressing, chop the tomatoes very small and try to keep all the juices. Add the cilantro, garlic, vinegar and hot sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and allow to sit for a while to blend the flavors. The original recipe says to mush it with your hands, but I just leave it chunky.



2 comments:

  1. What a delicious salad! full of great flavors and ingredients!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pretty chilly night here in Pennsylvania, Tracy but oh my goodness, not so chilly that I wouldn't want to dive into that spicy salad!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!