Saturday, April 26, 2014

Raise the Roof Lasagna (from My Beef with Meat)


“My Beef with Meat” by Rip Esselstyn is a quick and easy read, and the recipes included in the back of the book are solid….and masculine, in a way, if you know what I mean….like this lasagna….and  Zeb’s Waffles which you can see here. It’s the perfect book if you are curious about the rationale behind a vegan diet; the information is not overwhelming and it’s not chock full of nutritional facts and figures. If you’re looking for that kind of info, turn to “The China Study.”

(A side note: Esselstyn’s father is part of the “Forks Over Knives” movie - have you seen it?)


Esselstyn quotes a letter which he received that especially drives home the point of a plant strong diet. The letter writer says that none of his friends even batted an eye when he reached for his 5th piece of meat pizza after eating a plate of wings and drinking 5 beers. They did start to chirp up when this guy started eating fresh fruit and vegetables, citing all sorts of evolutionary evidence which supposedly points to the necessity of including meat in our diet. All of a sudden, the friends had become biochemists who were worried about nutrition! The man continued to lose weight, reverse health issues and regain strength, all the while smiling and quietly witnessing to his friends.



This legendary recipe is a total complete 100-% VEG OUT fest. Don’t even consider making this unless you are in LOVE with the pure authentic taste of VEGGIES. Look at the crazy amount of VEG layered in there. Broccoli, corn, spinach, onions, tomatoes, peppers, carrots – it just never ENDS!  Talk about chopping! And believe it or not, I cut the recipe in HALF! I don’t think there is any room in the casserole for another crumble of goodness.  



Many reviewers suggested doubling the amount of sweet potatoes, which I did, and that made the second layer of this lasagna (see it in the photo?) extra nice. (Mr. Living Cookbook doesn’t love sweet potatoes and he did not go back for second helpings – rare)

If you want this recipe, you’ll have to get to the library and check out “My Beef with Meat” or search around the internet. Caution: It’s a VEG FEST!!!


2 comments:

  1. Looks wonderful!!! Certainly is comfort food at its best. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love this recipe ! When I make it I can't get enough even though Ive altered the veggies to my favourite ones its so good:) I took it to a vegan potluck and it was a hit!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!