Sunday, April 30, 2017

Cauliflower Pea Curry


 I recently took one of those ‘personality profile’ self-exams – you know the ones. After answering questions like “Would you rather chair a 20-person committee for the rededication of the town park or stuff envelopes in the back room?”,  you are given a score. That score places you on a personality spectrum, ranging from the daring extrovert to the quietest and most introverted church mouse.

Guess what? I am a quiet and introverted church mouse. SURPRISE! One of the qualifiers for my personality type is “likes to write poetry” and the very week I took the personality test, I had written a poem.

Another qualifier was the word ‘silent.’ Whoa. SILENT. That’s pretty quiet.
My co-workers all agreed with the results of my profile, saying stuff like, “Yes, Tracy, you are silent.” Again, whoa.  Am I so transparent?  

The world around me is chatty, and daring, and extroverted. Me? I’m happy sitting on the couch writing poetry 😊 .


Here’s a spicy recipe to excite even the quietest and most introverted of us. Take a plain cauliflower and give it some personality.

Here’s what you need:
2 lbs cauliflower, washed and broken in flowerets
3 T non-diary butter (Earth Balance is the best brand)
½ t dried ginger
½ t salt
½ t turmeric
½ t cayenne
½ t coriander
½ t dried mustard seeds
½ t cumin seeds
¼ t cinnamon
1 clove garlic, minced
½ C water
1 ½ C frozen peas
2 tomatoes, diced
Cilantro

Here’s what you do:
Melt the butter, add all the spices, and stir.  Add the cauliflower and water and stir until coated. Cover and allow the cauliflower to steam until medium tender. Add the peas and cilantro. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook only until they are warmed through.


I served this with Biryani Rice which has the exact flavor profile, so neither this delicious curry or the rice got the attention they deserved. Next time I make this, I’ll serve it with plain rice and perhaps some dahl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!