Monday, February 27, 2012

Mazidra - your life is about to change



Can you see that crusty circle around the edge??? Probably not because my camera settings were bonkers this night, but believe me, it's there! 

Caution. 

Eating this might change your life. Forever. 

You might become a lentil lover. You might incorporate vegetarian meals into your weekly menu. You might be a hero at dinner time and even receive a few thank-yous. 

Give it a try and let me know how your life changes….. it will be for the better, I guarantee.



Here’s what you need:
Lots of thinly sliced onions
Lots of olive oil
garlic
About 1 C brown lentils
Some rice (Today I used a little bit of long grain wild rice, but whatever you have is fine)
White wine



Here’s what you do:
Sautee the onions very slowly over low heat. Allow them to caramelize and don’t rush them. Add the garlic only when the onions are almost done cooking. The onions are the key, so take care with them.



Cook the lentils according to the package, but not too long! They must not start to get mushy!
Cook the rice according to the package. Mix all the elements together in an oven proof pan. Cast iron is perfect here.

I always add a bit of white wine to make a type of broth, but not too much. Drizzle olive oil around the edge to help create a crusty circle….. bake in a 450 degree oven for about 10 minutes or until desired ‘chewiness.’

Season with salt and pepper. 


special enough for Valentine's Dinner :)

3 comments:

  1. I just liked your facebook page and added it to my fabebook's pages' favorites! I do enjoy lentils - they area great and versatile protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds tasty. I will give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!