Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Pork Enchiladas and Green Salsa


This type of Mexican food is a standard in my household.  We eat bean tostadas like they’re coming out of our ears! Cheap. Healthy. Tasty. We are currently in a HUGE corn tortilla phase.  If you have a health food store near you, look for sprouted corn tortillas – you’ll thank me.

A 4 pound pork shoulder made about 28 enchiladas. They freeze beautifully. They reheat beautifully. Garnish with sour cream, avocado, cilantro and lime slices.

[I'm not sure what the protocol is for including pics of raw meat, but it doesn't bother me....My apologies to my vegetarian readers....  ]

Here’s what you need:
4 lbs pork shoulder
2 garlic cloves
1 onion
1 jalapeno pepper
24 small corn tortillas
Monterey Jack cheese
Green salsa



Here’s what you do:
Trim the meat of excess fat and cut in 2 inch cubes.  Slice onion, split the jalapeno pepper and remove seeds and veins (I use rubber gloves to avoid getting the hot stuff on my skin), slice garlic. Place meat, onion, pepper and garlic in pot with enough water to cover. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until meat is very tender.


Remove the pork and any onions, pepper and garlic you can find with a slotted spoon. Shred the meat and as much of the veggies as desired.

Soften the tortillas in the warm ‘broth’ and fill with about 1 heaping tablespoon of meat. Place in a greased baking dish.Keep going until all the meat and tortillas are used and the kitchen is a big mess. 

Cover with green salsa to taste (don’t be shy!) Smother with Monterey Jack cheese.  (don’t be shy!)

 I include here a collection of random photos to prove to you how much we love this type of food! (I’ve been snapping photos of my meals for years and years….. good thing I finally have this blog to store them…)



I didn't make these.... but I ate them in Merida, Mexico!


Can you find the pattern in our eating habits? I bet you can.....



4 comments:

  1. I think, it's you love Mexican food. I haven't made enchiladas in too long. I love them with salsa verde. I didn't know there was a protocol for showing raw meat, he he. Happy St. Patty's Day!
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering. These look wonderful! I have no recipes AT ALL for anything that is Mexican and I've been dying to make something since that is a cuisine I could easily eat once a week. Thanks for this recipe and great tutorial, I'm trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, Bravo! I think your eating habits would fit in nicely here in our household.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this looks so much like the food we had in Mexico, just add a squeeze of lime

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!