Friday, February 1, 2013

Aunt Bebe’s Bean Bowl

May I introduce Cabby?


I want to introduce you to the newest member of our family. Tell me you don’t just love that little smile! My nephew found her running near a freeway in Detroit, picked her up and convinced my sister to take care of her. No luck finding her owners and not able to find a willing taker, little puppy needed a permanent home. So now we have a new little addition to our family! I love her! She’s a tiny bear…grrrrr! 

I keep wondering if adding a puppy to our home just as my last child is getting ready to graduate from high school and move off to college is so obviously an attempt to avoid the ‘empty nest’ feeling….. maybe there’s a doctor out there who can enlighten?  Feel free to leave comments.

Speaking of empty nest….here’s my kind of comfort food. I made this for a church potluck recently. I guess it’s better in the summer with fresh beans, but it’s pretty darn good in the middle of the winter too.



Here’s what you need:
1 can green beans
1 can wax beans
1 can dark kidney beans
1 can lima beans
1 can chick peas
1 medium red onion, sliced very, very thin
1/3 C sugar
1 t salt
½ t pepper
1/3 C red wine vinegar
1/3 C salad oil

Here’s what you do:
Drain and rinse the beans. Mix the sugar, salt, pepper and vinegar over a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Add in the oil. Pour the dressing over the beans and onions, making sure the onions get down in the dressing so they can pickle just a bit. Allow to marinate overnight. Serve.

(printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!