Monday, July 29, 2013

Cauliflower Dal with Panch Puran

 (from Susan Voisin at www.fatfreevegan.com)

Anyone out there interested in participating in the Vegan Month of Food 2013?  (VeganMoFo) The fun starts in September. You can see my VeganMoFo2012 posts by clicking here. 



I can’t quite recall when I first heard of the Indian spice panch puran , but I can tell you that I have been thinking about it ever since. Something about the thought of all those seeds popping and jumping around in a hot skillet. Mustard seeds; cumin seeds; fennel seeds: those I knew.  Unknown to me were kalonji seeds and fenugreek. The colors. The aromas. The sensation of those beautiful seeds in my hand. I couldn’t resist. They are gorgeous.



You can find the panch puran (also spelled panch phoran  and panch phoron) at an Indian grocery store or online. It brings a warm and spicy taste to the dal and makes the kitchen smell out of this world. It would be very good on potatoes, rice, lentils….. think flavor and crunch and a nice bite.



This recipe was found on the excellent website Fat Free Vegan Blog by Susan Voisin. She also has a great double layer pumpkin cheesecake that you MUST try!



I encourage you to click here to see the recipe. I encourage you to step out of your food comfort zone and explore new flavors. I encourage you to bring the leftovers to work and watch your co-workers drool with envy..... or shrink back in horror! ha ha! 

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!