Monday, January 6, 2014

Pineapple Coconut Layer Cake with Pineapple Curd – revisited


Here is the first in a series of recipes which I used for a Cuban Christmas meal. I think having  a theme for a menu can be fun, plus it makes it easier to decide what to include. Ropa Vieja was our main course alongside Coconut Cardamon Rice. I also served a mango salsa. When you include a great dessert like this cake, you really don't need many more things on the dinner plate. Everyone has to save room for dessert! 

Here's the entire meal.... Cake is over there somewhere. 

I have made this cake before from scratch, following the recipe to the letter. This time I used a boxed cake mix, and it was much improved. It was extremely tender and was perfect after a huge meal. I also used fresh pineapple this time, which was a wise move on my part.  For the original recipe (Eating Well website) click here. For my previous version of this gorgeous cake click here.

I actually made this cake the day before I served it and stored it in the fridge. Before serving it, I allowed it to come to room temperature. Excellent! Rave reviews all around! Not many leftovers.

Here’s what you need:
Boxed white cake mix – the kind you only add egg whites to
2 T Dark or spiced rum
3 t Coconut extract - divided
Fresh pineapple
3 eggs – separated
¾ C canned pineapple juice
¼ C sugar
5 t cornstarch
12 ounces reduced- fat cream cheese – room temp
1/3 C powdered sugar
Pinch of salt
1 ½ - 2 C fresh pineapple chunks – divided
Toasted coconut for garnish

Here’s what you do:
Prepare the cake mix by following the directions on the box. Add 2 T rum and 2 t coconut extract to the cake batter. Bake according to the box. Allow to cool completely.

For the curd: whisk together 2 egg yolks, pineapple juice, sugar and cornstarch. Place over medium heat and whisk constantly until thick and shiny. Remove from heat all allow to cool completely.

For the frosting: mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, 1 t coconut extract and pinch of salt  until smooth and spreading consistency.



To assemble the cake, place one layer (top side down) on a plate, spread the curd over this stopping short of the edge. Sprinkle small pineapple chunks over the curd. Place the second layer on top (top side up). Dump the frosting on the top of the cake and carefully frost. There was not any extra frosting, so plan carefully as you go.

Decorate with pineapple chunks and toasted coconut.

For other recipes from by Cuban Christmas Menu, click below: 

1 comment:

  1. Tracy, I love the look and sound of this cake! Yum! Coconut is one of my favorites and I like it combined with the pineapple.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!