Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Goddess Nicoise – Isa Chandra


Well, I ended up actually seeing a Snowy Owl the other day – he was just sitting there, looking right down at me. No need to mention that I spent an hour searching for him, drove down every single muddy country road in the county and ended up half-way down some farmer’s driveway just so I could get this photo. Admit it – it was worth it! Isn’t he great?



Mr. Living Cookbook (aka Tim) also spotted some of these gorgeous birds and his photos are spectacular – so I must share them also.



I think spring might be just around the corner *FINALLY* here in West Michigan, so I bet the Snowy Owls will head up north soon.



Warmer weather (that means in the 20s and 30s folks) means my taste buds crave salads. This one comes from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra. She does all things well. The dressing is excellent and can be drizzled on all kinds of stuff.  

Here’s what you need:
16 oz chick peas, drained and rinsed
½ pound of small red potatoes, quartered and steamed until fork tender
½ pound of fresh green beans, stems removes and steamed until fork tender (did you know you can steam the potatoes and beans in the same pot? Start the potatoes first and add the beans when the potatoes are almost done. )
Red onion – sliced super thin to taste (I think I left these out – not a huge raw onion fan)
1/3 C good black Greek olives, pitted – whole or sliced in half
8 C leaf or romaine lettuce
1 C cherry tomatoes

Green Goddess Garlic Dressing
2 average size garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 C fresh chives, cut in 1 inch pieces
1/2 C  fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
2 T tahini
2 T nutritional yeast
1 T white miso
1/3 C water
2 T lemon juice

Arrange the salad on a large platter. Blend dressing ingredients until smooth in a high speed blender or food processor. Drizzle dressing liberally over veg.


Note: Isa likes to smash the chick peas, but I prefer them whole. Isa likes to add capers, but I can’t stand them. Isa also likes more garlic, but I refrain from too much raw garlic. 

4 comments:

  1. How many servings does this make? I told my analysis software that it served 4 and that put it at 225 calories per serving. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I don't know how many calories are in each serving..... I'm interested in knowing more about your software!

      Delete
    2. This dressing is amazing. Even by non-vegan hubby enjoys it. I made the salad today. Delicious! Don't worry about calorie count on this. The fat is from the olives and tahini, both healthy fats. The original recipe says it serves four, but I would say if you were having it as your main course it would be more like 3. And it would be very filling at that. Shelly

      Delete
    3. I'm so glad you liked this salad -- it's getting warmer here in West Michigan, which means it's almost salad season!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!