Saturday, October 31, 2015

Creamy Corn Gazpacho (lindawagner.net)




This photo is my soup made with red (rather than yellow) tomatoes. Please be sure to use yellow tomatoes for the original glorious yellow color. 
Everyone and their uncle is going bonkers for pumpkins at this time of year, however I only think of pumpkins at Thanksgiving. There is still plenty of time on the calendar for other vegetables. And cold soup is not out of season yet in my kitchen.

Here is a time I made this with red tomatoes. Yellow is the preferred color though.

This recipe was very unusual and completely refreshing. Since it is a raw soup, it came together in a matter of minutes. I think the garnishes are important because you want nice contrasting colors. I also think, in a jam, you could get away with using frozen corn, but seriously, there's nothing better than fresh corn on a cob.


Basically, you put everything in a blender and whirl to your desired consistency. I left mine just the tiniest bit chunky.

Another reason that I'm posting this 'summer' soup now in the autumn, is because I'm going to try heating the soup after blending. I know it will be great.

(from Linda Wagner) Creamy Corn Gazpacho
4 ears raw sweet corn - 3 for soup and one for garnish - kernels removed
1 can white beans, drained
1 yellow pepper, seeds and veins removed, chopped in pieces
1/2 shallot
2 C yellow tomatoes, cubed
3/4 C almond milk
1/4 C water
juice of 1 lime
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 inch of fresh ginger, peeled and cut in pieces
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil for garnish

Place ingredients in a blender. Serve cold.  Choose garnishes that contrast well with the flavors and color of the soup: cilantro, tomatoes, black pepper, olive oil, green peas, more corn kernels.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! If only I had some sweetcorn left in my allotment! I think I'll be heading to the supermarket to get some instead! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!