Saturday, October 24, 2015

Oven Baked Onion Rings (Ellie Krieger)



Raise your hand if you're guilty of eating an entire "Blooming Onion" at The Outback.
 I've come close. 


The problem with fried onion rings, besides being totally greasy, is that they get way too cold, way too soon, and you're left with a plate of mushy deep fried breading. And you want to keep eating! Am I right?


Another problem with fried restaurant onion rings is that the portion is so dang small. Who can really eat only 4 onion rings? (Well, if they're cold and greasy, I guess I could.)



All the classic onion ring problems are magically solved with this incredible recipe from Ellie Krieger.  I make these all the time and apart from the mess you create while making them, they are perfection.

Here's what you need: 
1 large bag of baked potato chips (Lays brand is best)
1/2 t cayenne
1 C soy milk or other plain plant milk
12 C plus 2 T flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground black pepper
1-2 large Vidalia onions
Spray oil (like Pam)

Here's what you do: 
Spray a baking sheet and set aside. Oven at 450 degrees. Put potato chips in food processor and turn into fine crumbs. Transfer crumbs to shallow bowl and add cayenne. Set aside. In another shallow bowl combine milk, 2 T flour, salt and black pepper. Set aside. Slice onions into 1/2 inch rings, saving the smaller pieces for another use. You need about a dozen rings.

Place the remaining flour in a plastic bag and add the onions. Shake the bag until each onion is totally covered in flour.

Here's the fun part! Dip each onion ring into the milk mixture, then into the potato chip mixture.  Shake off any clumps. Place on prepared baking sheet.


Spray canola oil over the tops of the rings and bake for 20 minutes or until coating is crisp. Season with salt and serve immediately. 

5 comments:

  1. I am a big fan of onion rings. I think this recipe sound yummy. I like that you baked these instead of frying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try them - they're seriously delicious!

      Delete
  2. These look so good! Cold deep fried food is the worst! I think that is one of the reasons why I don't bother learning how to deep fry things at home, and only over bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I've never deep fried anything! Maybe a quick saute, but that's it!

      Delete
  3. You really got my attention with this recipe. I do love the blooming onion from Outback, but I would never deep fry anything at home because the entire house would smell like hot oil for days, it is a huge mess, and the entire process just really grosses me out. I am definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!