Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Lentil Bolognese



Lentil Bolognese. There's two words I never thought I'd put together. *Lentil* Bolognese.* What would Tony Soprano say? What would my friends say? What would you say?

No, it's not a classic Bolognese sauce; it's better. It's rich and thick and meaty and filling and totally satisfying. We stuffed ourselves. I'm going to put it in shells next time and smother it in a cashew ricotta.... oh my gosh. Who says vegans eat rabbit food?



Here's what you need:
3/4  C dried lentils (I used French, but I think regular green/brown ones would work here as well)
1 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
oregano
1 15oz can tomato sauce
1/3 C dry red wine
pasta

Here's what you do:
Cook the lentils in plenty of cold water. Allow them to simmer until tender. French lentils will take about 15-20 minutes, regular lentils will be quicker. When they are thoroughly cooked, whirl them in a blender until a total brown mess. It does not need to be perfectly smooth. You might consider thinning out the lentil blob with part part of the can of tomato sauce.




Sauté the onion and celery until soft, but not brown. Add the oregano, sauce, and red wine. Allow to simmer for a bit to cook off the alcohol. Add the blob of lentils, stir, and be amazed. 

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!