Friday, May 13, 2011

Cinco de Mayo - Chocolate Flan



Ok, it’s not Cinco de Mayo! But I did actually make and serve this on May 5 – just getting around to writing about it now. Besides, who needs a Mexican holiday to eat really great, authentic Mexican food? Not me. I’m not even sure Cinco de Mayo is such a big deal in Mexico. We Americans are just looking for another way to celebrate our neighbors to the south. If you want to see how much we love all things Mexican at our house, start clicking:

                Pork Enchiladas in Green Salsa 
(caution: controversial raw meat photos!)

                Mrs. K’s Famous Mexican Casserole
(ridiculously easy)

                Creamy Southwest Chicken Soup
(my daughter in college has made this a few times- I love that she is becoming such a great cook! She texted me today to tell me that she made a penne pasta with apple chicken sausage, broccoli, Granny Smith apples and a Gouda Cheese sauce. I mean, come on!)

                Cheesy Green Enchiladas
(a recipe from Vegetarian Times Magazine. I really must explore that publication more.)

                Chicken Queso Burger 
(one of my first blog posts)

                Yucatan Meals 
(photos from our recent trip to the Yucatan Peninsula)

Picture this:
I am peacefully going through my twitter one afternoon, catching up on tweets and randomly looking around. (I am @LivingCB in case you're interested.....)

I come across a tweet from @finecooking which says “Impossible Chocolate Flan – the BEST dessert for Cinco de Mayo (and fun to make too).”

I read the recipe and decide I must make it right then. RIGHT then.

I send my son to the store with a short grocery list.

I dig in and within the hour I have created this beautiful, beautiful thing!

Unfortunately, I had to wait until the next day to taste it…… and I ate ½ of the entire flan. Tim was out of town and the kids were uninterested…. I think it’s the texture of flan that people either love or hate.
Me - I’m a lover.

Please see Fine Cooking for the complete recipe. (I did not use the Cajeta – no time to drive to the big grocery store for a specialty product- I was in a panic to get this baby in the oven!)

Gather ingredients according to recipe.

Make the cake layer. Make the flan layer and gently pour it over the cake. Set the entire thing in a hot water bath.

Kinda ugly bottom, but just wait till tomorrow! 
Run a hot knife around the edge of the pan. Gently coax the dessert out onto a plate.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yum! This looks WAY better than the flan I made (posting it tonight since last night was a bust.) I too like the texture of flan. I am definitely going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super easy and I think it turned out so pretty.... Too bad no one in my house was interested in eating it - more for me (i confess)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fabulous--ad to think that a little tweet could turn into such a lovely & delicious post! Thanks for sending it to us.
    Michaela @finecooking

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to try this. It sounds fabulous. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good to me, Tracy...I'd gladly eat some with you Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!