Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dijon, Orange and Dill Dressing

 Google reader is going to be retired as of July 1st. If you currently view Tracy's Living Cookbook in the reader and would like to continue receiving updates as they become available, please follow me via Email or become a follower on Facebook or Twitter. You may import your current Google Reader list to Feedly. That site has been pretty successful for me.  



I recently picked up a copy of “Vegetarian Journal” magazine. I should have read the cover more thoroughly because most of the magazine is devoted to Filipino cuisine, and in particular dishes that include coconut and Bagoong Miso – which is some type of garlicky, vinegary, sugary, miso-y seasoning, that you have to make in your own kitchen. I am sure it all tastes great, but it’s just not my alley right now. I see that next month’s issue is devoted to Ecuadorian Cuisine, which – if it’s all about the potato- I could get in to!

There is also a long article about how to eat vegan while camping and backpacking. If you know me, then you know that I am not a camper or backpacker. I walk around the block and call it good.

Then there is the article about how to eat vegan in China --  be on the lookout for hidden eggs! But I digress……

Between the pages is a great collection of recipes using fresh herbs. I zeroed in on Dill and Mustard Salad Dressing, made some ‘tracy’ changes, renamed it and Voila! My new favorite thing! We had it on lettuce a few days ago and then used the rest as a dip for fresh cooked green beans last night. Tonight we will finish it with some asparagus.



Here’s what you need:
1 T silken tofu (you could also use sour cream)
2 T Dijon mustard
2 t orange juice concentrate
½ C olive oil
2 T vinegar….here’s where you can really pump up the flavor. I recommend using Trader Joe’s Orange Muscat Champaign Vinegar – the stuff is awesome! Or use good quality white wine vinegar.
1 T dried dill
2 t black pepper

Here’s what you do:
Put the tofu, mustard and orange juice concentrate in a blender and whirl. Drizzle the oil in to emulsify. Add the vinegar, herbs and pepper. Blend some more. Refrigerate for an hour before eating.

(printable recipe)


On a totally different note, a house was torn down across the lake yesterday. It was the last of the tiny, cottage-type homes on our water. I imagine a big mega-house will go up this summer, which will be fun (and noisy) to watch. But in a way it makes me sad and nostalgic....I kinda liked looking at the little yellow house. In fact, when it was for sale last year, I secretly dreamed of owning it and living a cozy little life there. There's just something about a screened-in porch that I adore!  I wonder if my piano would even fit in the living room? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!