Friday, January 7, 2011

ginger pecan chews



As I look out my kitchen window, all I see is snow, snow, snow and more snow. The temperature is dropping, the fireplace is ablaze (thanks to the flip of a switch....) and I'm in the mood for comfort food. It's the perfect time of year to hibernate indoors with a cup of tea and a home made cookie.

I got very brave a few weeks ago and made crystallized ginger at home. It was very easy and pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. The bonus now is that I have all the crystallized ginger I need for baking and snacking. 
Click here to see how I made it.

These are the perfect cookies for a blustery winter day – very warm tasting and filled with flavor.  My kitchen smelled warm and spicy while these were baking.


Here’s what you need:
½ C sugar
½ C butter, softened
½ C molasses
½ C chopped crystallized ginger
1 egg
2 C flour
1 t ground ginger
½ t baking soda
½ t salt
½ C chopped pecans
Some pecan halves for decorating the top of each cookie




Here’s what you do:
Cream butter and sugar. Add the molasses, crystallized ginger and egg and mix well. 
Add the dry ingredients and mix well.



Shape heaping tablespoonfuls into balls and gently press pecan half on top of each cookie.

Bake 375 degrees for about 12 minutes.

I love this type of cookie at all time of the year, but especially on cold winter days with a cup of tea.

(printable recipe)

1 comment:

  1. So nice meeting you tonight! As someone at the meeting said, these cookies do look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!