Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Bourbon Brownies



My Super Bowl party was extra small this year – just me and Tim….. but our food was great! I made deviled eggs, ham salad sandwiches, potato skins and these awesomely wonderful brownies. I’ve never made these before but I give them a total 5 star rating. Luckily, we had a bottle of bourbon in the back of the cabinet and I had all the remaining ingredients in the pantry. The method is a bit different than regular brownies, so read carefully before jumping in.


Here’s what you need:
For the Brownies:
½ C sugar
1/3 C butter
2 T water
1 C semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
¾ C flour
¼ t baking powder
¼ t salt
½ C chopped pecans
¼ C bourbon

For the Frosting:
1 ½ C powdered sugar
3 T butter, softened
¼ t vanilla
7-9 t milk
2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, melted



In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, butter and water. Cook and stir constantly until boiling. Remove from heat and add the chocolate and vanilla. Mix well and then add the eggs.

Add the flour, baking powder, salt and mix until totally blended. Stir in nuts. Spread evenly in a greased 8 inch square pan. (I measured my pan to make sure it was 8 inches)


Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Do not over bake. Using a toothpick or the tines of a fork, poke lots of holes in the brownies while still hot. Drizzle the bourbon over the brownies with a spoon. Allow to completely cool for an hour.

Make frosting by mixing the powdered sugar, vanilla and enough milk for spreading consistency. Add the milk one teaspoon at a time! Frost and drizzle with melted chocolate. Allow to set completely before slicing (I put mine out in the cold garage to harden)



I took these to work and they got rave reviews and lots of jokes about the bourbon – you can really taste it! I would suggest cutting them in tiny, tiny squares for serving. They come out of the pan beautifully and make a lovely presentation. Enjoy!

(printable recipe)

I'd love to hear from you! What are some of your favorite variations on the basic brownie? (You really can't go wrong with any kind of brownie can you?)

8 comments:

  1. Wow - those look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brownies with peppermint patty. Although, bourbon is always nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look ridiculously delicious! I'm pretty sure I could eat a whole tray of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they were great.... and the bourbon didn't hurt either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hai first time coming to your blog..I received this post through petitchef..looks yummy........clicks are perfect.. I love to eat bourbons.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks delicious
    what is bourbon?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Ammu - hello and thanks for the nice comment. I like the look of your blog also - where are you from?
    @ anonymous - what is bourbon!? It's a very strong type of American whiskey made from corn. Very tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great Tracy! Thanks for sharing this recipe and those mouth-watering photos :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!