Tuesday, March 8, 2011

another great meatloaf


I’m not sure if you need yet another recipe for a meatloaf, but this one is really, really good– no leftovers at our house! We easily ate it all and did not even have one slice left over for sandwiches the next day. I usually don’t add much to my standard meatloaf recipe, but this version tempted me. I will definitely make this again.



Here’s what you need:
¾ lb ground turkey
¾ lb ground round
2 eggs slightly beaten
2/3 C milk (I used skim)
1 C soft, white bread crumbs (I processed white sandwich bread in the food processor)
½ carrot, grated
1 C cheddar, grated
1 T dried parsley
½ t black pepper

Topping:
½ C tomato sauce
¼ C brown sugar
1 t prepared mustard

Here’s what you do:
Beat the eggs slightly and add milk, meats, bread crumbs, carrots, cheese and seasonings. Mix everything well with your hands. Be extra careful to completely incorporate the two types of meat so they are evenly distributed.

Place in greased 9 X 4 loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes. (350 degree oven) Drain off any grease or ‘whatevers’ from the meat.

Spoon half of the topping over the meat. After 15 minutes, spoon the remaining topping over meat and bake another 15 minutes. Drain off any more stuff.  Broil the loaf for just a few minutes to get a caramelized topping! So. Very. Good.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Can’t go wrong with meatloaf, mashed potatoes and peas.

(printable recipe)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!