Sunday, December 30, 2012

Burritos with Carrot Cumin Sauce



The New Year is upon us, so I guess it’s time to make public confession of all our laziness and to proclaim our sincere efforts to lift ourselves from the gutter of our sorry ways. UGH! I hate it!

I am more of the inclination to begin each and every day with tiny little resolutions….you know….

”Today I will call my mother.”

 “Today I will not eat any junk food.”

“Today I will scour the bathrooms and pick up the piles.”

“Today I will go for a walk.”

Somehow I don’t beat myself up as badly when I break these small resolutions because I can always say, “There’s always tomorrow.”  I just can’t bear that horrible feeling when, on January 3rd, I wake up and realize that I have already broken all of my resolutions! Talk about depressing! (As if I really could ever in my wildest dreams run a 5K or learn to play the church organ!)

One thing I should learn to do in 2013 is to estimate the weight of things, in particular, potatoes. I do believe I put in too much potato in this lovely Carrot Cumin Sauce.  But no worries, “There’s always tomorrow.” And since I have resolved to go all-out-vegan for the month of January, I will be making these again real soon.



Baked Burritos with Carrot Cumin Sauce (from frieddandelions.com)

Here’s what you need:
1 large Yukon gold potato -11 ounces (….. and here you can sympathize with my heavy handed use of the potato…. )
3 C water
6-8 medium carrots (…. I had less fear/problem with the carrots…. Love them!)
1 head garlic
2 t cumin
2 t salt
Pepper to taste
1 T tomato paste

Here’s what you do:
Peel and cut the carrots into coins about ¼ inch thin. Toss with oil, cumin and salt. Place on baking dish. Prepare the garlic for roasting by removing some of the papery skins, slicing off the top, drizzling with olive oil, sprinkling with salt and wrapping up tightly in foil. Place on sheet with carrots and roast it all for 25 minutes at 400 degrees.  After 25 minutes, remove carrots and continue to roast the garlic for about 20 more minutes.

Peel and dice the potato and cook in the 3 C water until fork tender – don’t throw away the water.

Puree the carrots, potatoes, garlic (squeeze it out of all the skins), tomato paste and some of the water to create the sauce. Add as much of the starchy water as you want.



I filled my burritos with black beans and some rice. I added some tomato paste, cayenne pepper and saffron threads to my rice to make it yellow to match my sauce. 






 Be sure to put some of the sauce in the burrito as well. I think it would have been better if I had stuffed the burrito with some other veggies: diced tomatoes, cilantro, onions, green pepper, etc.

Roll them up, smother with the sauce, bake till hot and bubbly, serve with all the fixin’s . ... obviously, mine needed more! 

(printable recipe)







3 comments:

  1. What an interesting and unique sauce. I think it would also make a lovely soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on doing another vegan month!! Can't wait to see more posts :) I bookmarked this burrito recipe to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh this sounds good - I was curious when I saw the title - these are fabulous! Happy New Year!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!