Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Cheezy Potatoes - VeganMoFo

Poesy and Plate
 
Vegan Month of Food  2014
(check out the hundreds of VeganMoFo blogs HERE)
My goal: cook and blog about vegan food 20 times
  during the month of September. 

My theme: words and food






Every single diet I ever fell off of was because of potatoes and gravy of some sort. Dolly Parton

Not gonna lie….I didn’t love this. But I am a sucker for all things potato, so I couldn’t resist. What it needs is a stick of Earth Balance to make it creamy. Not gonna lie.

God bless Dolly Parton for saying so eloquently what I wanted to express. Of course, I ate every single shred all by myself, no problem. Proof of my love affair with the potato.




Here’s what you need:
1 28 oz bag frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
1 onion finely chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
3 C water
½ C Nutritional yeast
¼ C olive oil
1 T chicken-style seasoning (or other similar seasonings)
Salt
Garlic powder
Hot sauce
Paprika



Here’s what you do:
Place the thawed hash browns and onions in a greased casserole. Set aside.

Combine the chopped potatoes, carrots and water and simmer, covered, until very soft. Save the cooking liquid. Place the soft carrots and potatoes in a high speed blender. Add 2 C of the cooking water. Also add the Nutritional yeast, olive oil, seasonings. (Keep the paprika for a garnish only) . Blend until very creamy and thick and pour over the hash browns. Stir a bit to distribute the cheese sauce. Sprinkle the paprika over the casserole. Bake until bubble, maybe 30 – 45 minutes. Freezes great. 

1 comment:

  1. Potatoes are my weakness! This looks delish, but then again, anything with potatoes and I'm in!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!