Tuesday, September 21, 2010

maple-mustard chicken


Maple-Mustard Chicken
This recipe comes directly from my favorite food magazine- Cuisine At Home (December 2008.) I give it 5 stars because it's easy, delicious, different, and very reasonable to throw together on a week night. I have not changed the recipe at all - very nice just the way it was written. Tonight I used thin slices of the chicken in a huge salad...... leftovers were for sandwiches the next day.


Here's what you need:
3 T Dijon (no substitutions)
2 T maple syrup (use the real stuff here, you want the flavor of maple, not just sugar)
1 T whole-grain mustard
1 T brown sugar
1/4 t dried thyme (secret ingredient, please don't substitute.... )
boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper



Here's what you do:
Mix the mustards, syrup, sugar and thyme to create this beautiful glaze - look at that color!
Line a baking sheet with foil (you'll be glad)
generously salt and pepper the chicken (I usually do not add salt when I cook, but when baking chicken I think it's needed..... )
Brush chicken with glaze and bake at 350 degrees for about 30-45 minutes.
While chicken is baking, continue to brush on more and more of the glaze.

Cooked chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees. I always use a meat thermometer to be safe.

You might notice that (once again) I split the chicken in half width-wise..... I like it thinner. The baking time above is for a full breast.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I have chicken breasts in the freezer that I was trying to decide how to prepare! And I have all the other ingredients on hand as well...score!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!