Thursday, January 26, 2012

Snickerdoodles : A snack for my students



I made Snickerdoodles today for my 7th and 8th graders. They are reading a Jerry Spinelli novel called Loser. It’s the story of a sweet and unique boy named Donald Zinkoff.  Donald is clumsy, he is not great at school or sports, he raises his hand at the wrong time, and he falls down with laughter at his own jokes. Because he is different, he is labeled ‘loser’ by the other kids. Of course by the end of the novel the kids have learned to appreciate Donald for who he is and Donald gains self-confidence. The book is filled with lessons about bullying and the importance of accepting people as they are. Great lessons not only for 7th and 8th graders, but for all of us.

The essay question posed to my students is to explain this quote from the book (pg 94). “As with all discoveries, it is the eye and not the object that changes.”  Three well-written paragraphs, typed, one quote from the novel, due tomorrow. J

Another note about Donald Zinkoff – he loves Snickerdoodles.

¼ C sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 ½ C sugar
1 C butter
2 eggs
2 ¾ C all-purpose flour
2 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
¼ t salt

Mix ¼ C sugar and cinnamon. Set aside. Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and mix well. Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix well.

Shape dough into 1 ½ inch balls. Roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove while warm and cool on rack. 

3 comments:

  1. Snickerdoodles are always a great choice and they sound even better with a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡¡Umm que rico!!IntentarĂ© hacerlo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Snickerdoodles. I don't make them often enough. Sometimes I think I overlook old favorites in favor of always trying something new. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!