Saturday, July 28, 2012

Arugula Pesto



I’m sure you have seen the zillions of types of pesto out there in recipe-land. I am pretty loyal to basil and pine nuts, but since pine nuts are so darn expensive and my basil is not ready to be harvested, I decided to be brave and try an arugula pesto with walnuts…. It’s a combination of all kinds of recipes; I think I even threw in some almonds from the back of the fridge…..Surprisingly, it was awesome! I’m not sure what I was expecting, but I really like this! Yes, it’s ‘spicy’ and ‘bitter’ like arugula, but that gave it a very pleasant taste. Plus, once you add nuts, garlic, butter, oil, cheese and pasta, who cares what the green part is??? !

Be brave like me. Try a new type of pesto.

Here’s what you do:

Harvest a bunch of arugula from your garden, making sure the resident bunny is not busy eating your green beans.


Place the tender leaves in a Cuisinart along with some garlic, nuts, oil, salt and blend away! At this point, I freeze my pesto in ice-cube trays or baggies and tuck them away in the freezer.


 When I’m ready to use it, I add lots of pasta water, fresh Parmesan cheese and a tiny bit of butter. The classic way to use pesto is on pasta, of course. But don’t forget about using it on a pizza or sandwich. 

6 comments:

  1. That looks perfect Tracy
    and wouldn't it make for
    a great lunch.

    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuz, I admire your creativity!

    Now, just for a test of that famous creativity, try to go a month without garlic in your savory recipes!

    Yup, I'm one of those in the minority that just don't enjoy even a whiff of it, and I have long wondered if chefs and cookbook writers just toss in some garlic when they need more "flavor."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pestos - they are so easy and you can use so many different ingredients to change them up. I enjoy arugula a lot so I know I'd like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grow arugula in the spring and fall, but have never made pesto with it. Thanks for this great idea. I'll be planting again at the beginning of September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a good idea to use arugula and to freeze the cubes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!