Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Salmon: Michigan's Finest!


What a great surprise last week when my friend called and asked me if I wanted some fresh salmon! Look at that piece of fish! Caught that very morning! Take about fresh....it's one of the best things about living near Lake Michigan. It came on the perfect day.... I had been super busy all week long, cooking at our church's Vacation Bible School - hot, sticky, exhausting and lots and lots of leftovers..... mac-n-cheese, hot dogs, sloppy joes, jello..... not an adult meal in sight! 

I used this huge guy in two fantastic meals. I mean we could have stretched him into more meals, but why not feast when you have the chance?!

Meal One: marinate in soy, brown sugar and lots of garlic; grill, eat.... I think we had a salad too. With a gorgeous piece of fish like this, you really don't need much other food. Save the leftovers for the next night.



Meal Two: garlic sauteed in olive oil with a shake or two of hot pepper flakes. Add some angel hair pasta and the salmon. Pour in about 1/2 C of heavy cream. Heat, serve, eat. No time for salad or veggies that night because it was way past 8:00 pm when we finally sat down to eat after being out on the boat all afternoon. Famished! 


Very cool spot in the Grand River that my hubby and I love - private, shallow, warm and clean water. Yes, that's really me, thinking about my salmon dinner. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Trace

    Yum, sounds wonderful

    I would love that dish.

    Have a good week.

    Fiona x

    ps just to let you know that I am going on holiday and so won't be around for a week or so
    and won't be able to comment on your lovely blog.

    Be good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either option for dinner sounds delicious. What a treat to be given the fresh salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. soy and lots of garlic... Now your talking! What a treat to get a big fish like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one delicious looking piece of salmon! Isn't it great when a fisherman shares their catch with you? One time my son-in-law shared his catch of steelhead with us and it was good eating for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!