Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Cooking for 75- Double Cheese Baked Macaroni



Well, it’s that time of year again – Vacation Bible School – and some of you know what that means….. dinner for 75! Yes, I am the crazy person that volunteers to make dinner for the kiddos and the volunteers for 4 nights of VBS. Well, not crazy really… I call it blessed – I love it. Yes, it’s a lot of work; yes, it’s ridiculously hot; yes, my family gets ignored for a week, but it’s all for a higher cause, right? I have the best crew and that’s a huge secret to success. (Thanks crew!!)

Today I share my great recipe for Mac-n-Cheese. I have been making it this way forever.

I was grilling these babies at 9:00 in the morning - coffee in one hand, tongs in the other! 

Monday’s Menu:
Double Cheese Baked Macaroni
Grilled Polish Kielbasa
Fresh Green Beans
Sliced Melons
Dinner Rolls



Tuesday's Menu:
Sloppy Joes (the recipe is here)
Oven Fries (the recipe is here)
Veggie Tray
Sliced Oranges
Fruity Yogurt Pops (recipe coming soon!)


Here’s what you need (for 12 servings)
1 lb elbow macaroni
24 oz cottage cheese
½ C real butter
½ C flour
Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
3 C half-and-half cream
1 C whole milk
4 C shredded cheddar cheese

Here’s what you do:
Prepare the macaroni according to the package. Blend the cottage cheese in your mixer to make it totally creamy and smooth. Create a white sauce: melt the butter, add the flour stirring continually, add the half-and-half and milk and continue to stir until thickened. In a big bowl, combine the pasta, the white sauce, the cottage cheese and the shredded cheddar. Stir well. Pour into a greased casserole and bake until brown and bubbly.

(printable recipe)



5 comments:

  1. Me encanta! Una mesa repleta de ricos manjares.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy

    Cooking for 75!!!!!!!

    I can hardly cook for 5
    I find it hard work!

    Wow it all sounds wonderful.

    Well done to you
    I really admire you.

    Don't work too hard now!


    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet they were happy campers!! delicious :))
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic reason to start dinner at 9am. It all looks amazing Tracy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!