Sunday, July 8, 2012

lime ice cream



Hello blogger friends,
I am going way back in the vaults of my 'draft' folder to bring this to you today..... This was actually something I wrote 2 years ago.... yes, TWO years ago....I just never got around to posting it! I remember eating this as if it were yesterday - if you like lime, like I do, then you will love this. And I guess this one is still valid, I mean, it has been hotter than blazes around here lately. Plus, who doesn't love ice cream? 



This was unbelievable delicious! Fresh, creamy, quick, inexpensive and best of all low-cal! I used all low fat products and the result was really, really good. I have an older model Waring Brand Frozen Dessert Maker. While the ice cream was whirling around in the machine, I browsed through the little recipe book that came with the machine and I was surprised to see their lime ice cream has sugar, egg yolks, marshmallows, heavy cream and food dye..... I'm here to tell you, none of that is necessary. See below for proof!

Here's what you need:
1 1/2 C skim milk
3/4 C lime juice (recipe called for 2/3 C Key lime juice, which would be great)
1/2 C low-fat half and half
1/8 t salt
1 can fat-free sweetened condensed milk


(Since taking this photo, my poor old ice cream maker has hit the dust..... I would love another!! Who can recommend a good one? )


Here's what you do:
Mix it all together with a whisk, and while your machine is running, slowly pour in cold liquid. The electric part of my machine did not really work well today, so I ended up using the hand crank. The ice cream was ready in about 1/2 hour. I supposed you would have to follow the directions for your own machine, or get creative and freeze it the old fashioned way.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely homemade ice cream. I just made and posted my first ever homemade ice cream! I am looking forward to making more and this one looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks amazing and so refreshing!! I totally do that with draft posts too ... glad you posted it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riquísimo helado y muy refrescante. intentaré hacer tu receta.
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the flavour of Limes! Have a lovely week:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum yum! I like lime anything, so I know I'd love this ice cream. Thanks for the recipe, I am definitely trying it. Do you think 2% milk would work?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the nice comments - looks like everyone loves lime! This one is very light and did not have that 'grainy' feeling some homemade ice cream treats can have. Yes, Pattie, 2% milk would be great .... probably better than skim:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!