Friday, August 10, 2012

Sesame Seed Chicken



Here’s a great way to liven up the ever-versatile boneless, skinless chicken breast. It’s my own concoction, loosely based on all kinds of recipes I have seen. You can tweak the sauce as much as you like to your taste, just be sure to stick with the basics of Asian food: both sweet and hot.
I served this last week on a bed of rice (how fancy!) with a side of cooked carrots and sliced cucumbers and radishes.

Here’s what you need:
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to about ½ inch thick
Lots of sesame seeds
Fresh ginger, grated or minced, to taste
Fresh garlic, mince, to taste
½ C dry white wine
2 T honey
1 C chicken stock (I think I used veggie stock)
½ t sesame oil
2 T hot Asian chili sauce
1 T hoisin sauce
Soy

Here’s what you do:
Dredge the pounded breasts in lots of sesame seeds. Saute them in a tiny bit of oil, turning only once until golden brown. Remove from pan.

To make the sauce, sauté the ginger and garlic for about a minute. You never want any garlic to brown because it will be totally bitter and ruined. Just let it warm up and cook through here. Add the wine, honey, chicken stock, sesame oil, chili sauce and hoisin sauce. Whisk until smooth and continue to cook for about 5 minutes until a bit thicker. Season with soy to taste.
Slice the chicken, serve over rice or couscous, with the sauce drizzled over all. 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious Tracy.

    I am sorry that I have not been around for the last week or so
    but I have my Mum staying with me at the moment and feel guilty
    if I don't give her my time and so haven't been on the computer much.

    Hope all is well with you.

    I will have so much catching up to do
    when Mum goes home that it will take me until Christmas
    to get through all the posts I have missed!

    Have a lovely weekend.


    Take care

    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sesame chicken and the coating of seeds on this chicken looks great! I bet it's very flavorful and moist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always looking for a new way to serve chicken - we eat a lot of it in this house!!! This looks real tasty.
    Many thanks for your lovely comment on my post :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this looks light and fabulous...and I always have all those ingredients in my kitchen. Can't wait to try!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!