Tuesday, September 14, 2010

tomato press

Tomato Press
I only plant 4 or 5 tomatoes each summer in my garden, but the amount of fruit those plants produce always amazes me! They just keep coming and I hate to waste any of them. I roast them, I make sauce, I make soup...... We eat tomato sandwiches, BLTs.......

If you make your own tomato sauce and you love kitchen gadgets, then this might just be for you. I bought my tomato press about 20 years ago from Lillian Vernon.  That company does not carry this particular product any longer, but this machine is very easy to find all over the internet.  Click here to see a nice one
Today, I cooked onions, garlic, zucchini, herbs and lots and lots of tomatoes. My largest pot was filled to the brim!  After cooking down a few hours, cool the mixture and begin the 'pressing.'
As you can see, the cooked veggies go in the top and as you turn the crank, the peels, seeds and pulp gets scraped out.  You are left with a beautiful, clean, pure sauce.... I usually just freeze it like this and then cook it down for a bit before serving. 

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing. I wished, I lived closer and could have invited myself over when I saw this post. It has taken me a few days to stop by and leave a comment. All your vegan dishes are looking great too. Hope your doing well. Hugs, Rea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!