Thursday, October 25, 2012

I've Been Baking: VeganMoFo # 16



I'm a Veganwannabe: Post #16
(Just a few more Vegan Month of Food posts!! I can feel the end coming!) 

I’ve been baking. Must be this rainy weather. 

Both of these recipes come from The Joy of Vegan Baking and both are excellent. It’s the first time I have used Ener-G Egg Replacer and I must admit….. I am impressed with the results. You will never miss the eggs.  [There I go again mentioning an egg during Vegan Month of Food – (VeganMoFo, for those of you who have not been paying attention these last few weeks) By the way….I am totally confident that I will make it to 20 blog posts, which is one of the challenges of participating in the MoFo. So proud of myself….but I digress.]


Classic Currant Scones (from The Joy of Vegan Baking)
1 ½ t Ener-G Egg Replacer (equivalent of 1 egg)
2 T water
2 ½ C flour
1/3 C sugar
4 t baking powder
½ t salt
¾ C non-hydrogenated, non-dairy butter, cold, cut in small cubes
1 C currants (I love these little guys)
½ C non-dairy milk (I used Coconut Milk)
2-3 T non-dairy milk for brushing on top
Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling



1.       Whisk the Ener-G and the water till thick and frothy. Set aside.
2.       Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt.
3.       Add the cubed butter to the dry ingredients and cut it in with your fingers till you have small pea-sized crumbles. You basically want to smoosh it together with your fingertips gently, making sure it’s not too perfectly incorporated. The little chunks of butter will create wonderful pockets of goodness, so don’t mix it too thoroughly.
4.       Add the ‘eggs’, the milk and the currants.
5.       Mix gently until very craggy and soft.
6.       Turn out onto a floured board and create a sort of wet ball – it can be done!
7.       Using your fingers, shape the dough into a ½ inch tall circle.
8.       Cut in 8-10 wedges.
9.       Transfer to a baking sheet which has been sprayed or lined with parchment paper (or both)
10.   Brush with a bit more milk.
11.   Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
12.   Bake in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes.




Hearty Spiced Cocoa Muffins (from The Joy of Vegan Baking)
1 ¾ C flour
¾ C sugar
6 T unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t baking powder
½ t baking soda
2 t cinnamon
¼ t cloves
¼ cayenne pepper
1 t salt
3 T Ener-G Egg Replacer
4 T water
1 C non-dairy milk
½ C non-hydrogenated, non-dairy butter, melted (OR ½ C canola oil)
½ C non-dairy semisweet chocolate chips
½ C chopped nuts (optional)



1.       Mix the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, cayenne pepper and salt. Set aside
2.       Whisk the Ener-G and water till thick and frothy. (I did mine in the blender) Set aside.
3.       Add the milk and melted butter to the ‘egg’
4.       Add the chips, nuts and wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix very gently.
5.       Scoop the muffin mixture into prepared muffin tins (sprayed) and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.


3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I feel like a proud mama!

    I have actually come to strongly prefer vegan baked goods to ones made with eggs, butter, etc. Those flavors tend to overwhelm and hurt my tummy besides.

    Congrats on keeping up with MoFo, you are awesome!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn!! You are my vegan mama!!! I feel great and I don't think I can go back! You are awesome too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really impressed with your commitment to vegan eating - the baking looks wonderful - isn't it amazing what you can do without animal products!
    mary x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!