Saturday, November 24, 2012

Maple Pecan Cinnamon Rolls


Maple Cinnamon Glaze! Come ON!

Well, as promised, I did it. I veganized those glorious Cinnamon Rolls I posted a few weeks ago. Using the same recipe, I swapped out butter, milk and eggs with Earth Balance margarine, coconut milk and Ener-G Egg Replacer and you know what? They were better than the original. Just have to trust me on that one, I guess. I also added chopped pecans to the filling and some maple syrup in the glaze. Glorious! The leftovers re-heated beautifully the next day.

Here’s what you need:
1 ¼ C coconut milk
½ C Earth Balance non-dairy butter
¼ C brown sugar
2 ¼ t yeast

1 C old-fashioned oats
½ C hot water

4 C flour
2  Ener-G Egg replacer “eggs”
1 ½ t salt

1 ½ sticks Earth Balance butter – softened
1 C brown sugar
1 C chopped pecans
2 T cinnamon
1 t salt

4 T Earth Balance butter – softened
2 C powdered sugar
2 T coconut milk
3 T pure maple syrup
¼ t salt

I was very paranoid that my yeast was not
bubbling correctly, but eventually it
worked great!


Here’s what you do:

Heat up 1 ¼ C milk, butter and brown sugar, until it’s all melted. Pour into the bowl of your mixer and wait until the temperature is down to 100-110 degrees. Then add the yeast and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Soak the oats in the hot water. Set aside.


You can see why I was paranoid
about my yeast. Time to go
yeast shopping, I guess.
Add 2 cups of flour and ‘eggs’ to the yeast mixture and mix it slowly, until it’s all incorporated. Then add the remaining flour, oats and salt. Mix for about 7 minutes or until the dough pulls away from the sides of the mixer. (Mine actually took much less time)

Transfer dough to a bowl which has been coated with nonstick spray. Cover and allow to double in bulk – about 2 hours.

To make the filling: mix the 1 ½ sticks ‘butter,’ the brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

This dough was very tender and delicate. I always use a tape measure.

After 2 hours, remove the dough to a floured board and cut it in half. Press out one half into a 16 x 10 inch rectangle. Gently spread ½ of the filling over the dough. Sprinkle ½ C chopped pecans over the filling. Roll up, jellyroll fashion, starting with the short end. Place on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with the other half of the dough. Freeze the two ‘logs’ of dough for about 10 minutes for easier handling. Cut each log into 6 equal pieces…. I used dental floss (NOT the “minty fresh kind”) Feel free to trim away any unsightly and uneven pieces that are sticking out on each end. There’s plenty of goodness to spare.

Place the rolls in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish, cover and allow rolls to rise and rest for about 1 hour.



Bake rolls in a 375 degree oven for about 30-35 minutes. While the rolls are cooling, make the frosting by mixing the ‘butter,’ powdered sugar, maple syrup, milk and salt. Slather the frosting and enjoy!
One Year Ago : Cranberry Marmalade Pinwheels (these were really tricky to make, but they tasted great!)





Two Years Ago : Eggplant Rollatini (this may be my favorite recipe on the entire blog. Take a minute to check it out.) 

3 comments:

  1. Tracy, those cinnamon buns look amazing! BTW, I consistently find vegan baked goods are much better than conventional baked goods each and every time. Eggs, particularly, can dry out baked goods (too much structure and protein) and both eggs and dairy butter lend an overwhelming taste (once you realize what that taste is!)

    Bring it on, girl!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. ¡Deliciosos estos rollitos dulces!Los ingredientes que has utilizado me han gustado mucho.
    Saludos y feliz día.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so yummy! I love pecan and maple together (just posted a pie). These are perfect for a cool morning with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!