Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Vegan Strawberry Cheesecake (www.onegreenplanet.org)


Looking for something spectacular to serve on Thanksgiving?

Want a contrast to the pumpkin pie on the dessert table?

Tired of all the cheese in your diet, but still want to indulge in something rich and decadent? 

This recipe is from the fantastic site "One Green Planet." Their recipes are always spot-on and this is no exception. True, strawberries in November is a tiny stretch, but I bet at Thanksgiving you'll find them. I'm betting that other fruit would work well in this cheesecake as well: mango, raspberry, blueberry. 


I remember the first time I used Medjool dates in my baking.... I was skeptical. Now, it feels like the most natural thing in the world. So if you're new to 'raw' baking - fear NOT! It's simple and super tasty - better than using butter and eggs. 

Crust:
1 C buckwheat flour
1/2 C walnuts
8 Medjool dates
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t salt

Filling:
2 C soaked raw cashews
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 C coconut oil
4 dates
2 t vanilla
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 t salt

Frosting:
2 C strawberries
4 Medjool dates
juice of 1/2 lemon

Blend flour and walnuts in food processor. Add dates, vanilla and salt and continue to blend until well incorporated. Press into a 9-inch spring form pan.

Combine the filling ingredients in a blender except for the coconut oil. Melt the coconut oil and add it to the blender. Pour the filling over the crust and freeze for at least 2 hours.

Blend the strawberries, dates and lemon juice till smooth. Pour over the top of the cheesecake when ready to serve. Garnish with more strawberries.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Jasmine! This dessert was actually better than I was expecting. I imagine a blueberry cheesecake would be divine as well - I'll check out your recipe.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!