Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Curried Tomato Soup





It rained the other day and I felt the promise of spring on a cold wet day. The grey piles of snow melted for a day or two, revealing the green of lawn and garden. Yes, it was the promise of spring in the middle of February.

I'm already planning my vegetable garden. What will I do with all those tomatoes? Should I tear out the hydrangeas to make room for more? Maybe that's too drastic?

Speaking of tomatoes, here is an absolutely gourmet soup I made last fall. I still have a few servings tucked away in my freezer.  I think it is nice enough to serve to company and would be bang-up with a grown-up grilled cheese sandwich.

Here's what you need:
3 C chopped onion
2 T coconut oil
6 cloves fresh garlic
1/4 C minced fresh ginger
3 T curry
3 T garam masala
4 C vegetable stock
8 C fresh, ripe tomatoes (or canned, if you are in a deep freeze like I am here in Michigan in February)
1 C full fat coconut milk

Here's what you do:

Saute the veg in the coconut oil until soft. Add the spices and stir. Add the stock and tomatoes. Cook until well blended and the tomatoes are totally soft. Add the coconut milk. Allow to sit for a while with a lid on and the heat off to meld all the flavors. Blend until completely smooth.  For a beautifully silky soup, strain before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!