Saturday, April 1, 2017

Orange Black Bean Taquitos and Chickpea Avocado Salad (Forks Over Knives)



It’s hard to say when my eating preferences changed. It’s hard to say why they changed. As I have  mentioned before, I do know there were a few events all occurring at once, 4 ½ years ago, that motivated me to try eating a vegan diet. My daughter was living with a vegan at the time, and we were super curious about her food. She shared her recipe for potato tacos with roasted jalapeno crema, and we were in love.

Also, at that same time, some health issues arose in the family- some small, some large – but enough to be a wake-up call regarding our health. Less cholesterol and more green stuff.

Thirdly, my blog was in need of a boost, and participating in Vegan Month of Food (the VeganMoFo….which I loved then and still love to this day) seemed like the right amount of challenge. One month of vegan meals. What could happen?

Well, what happened was that I became vegan.

Along the way, I was inspired by books and podcasts and blogs and cookbooks and one movie in particular. It’s called “Forks Over Knives” and if you have not viewed it, I highly encourage you to check it out. It’s not a scary ‘animal rights’ film or a film that makes you feel guilty for eating cheese. It’s simply an explanation of why eating animal foods is harmful to our health. It changed my life….yes, a movie changed my life.

Here are two recipes from the Forks Over Knives website. I’m positive they won’t mind me sharing them with you.

Orange Black Bean Taquitos (original recipe HERE)
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 t cumin seeds, toasted and ground
2 chiptole peppers in adobo sauce, minced
Zest and juice of two oranges
2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
Salt
Corn tortillas
Toppings (guacamole, salsa, spicy sour cream, etc. )

Sauté the onions in a tiny bit of water for a few minutes until they begin to soften and brown. Add water 1 tablespoon at a time to keep them from sticking. Add the garlic and continue to cook. Add the cumin, peppers, orange zest and juice, and the black beans.
Salt to taste and puree in a food processor. It doesn’t need to be completely smooth.
Soften the tortillas in a dry, hot, non-stick pan and spoon about 2-3 T of the bean mixture in each tortilla. Roll them up and brown them in a hot, non-stick pan until they are toasted.

Chickpea Avocado Salad (original recipe HERE)
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small red onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced or passed through a press ( I usually omit raw garlic, as I do in this recipe)
Zest of 1 lime and juice of 4 limes
1 jalapeno pepper, seed and veins removed for less heat
½ C chopped cilantro
Salt to taste
1 avocado, coarsely chopped


Combine all the ingredients and mix well. Add the avocado carefully just before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!