Wednesday, March 2, 2011

cheese tiropitas


Feta, lemon, mint, garlic - all wrapped up in one of my favorite treats - filo dough. These little bundles are really, really good and surprisingly not that difficult to make, just a little messy. I served these with a Greek type salad: romaine, beets, carrots and tomatoes with a light dressing.

They would also be perfect for a cocktail party. (I wonder, does anyone have cocktail parties any more? I want them to come back in style…. as an aside, I’m addicted to ‘Mad Men’ J Have you seen the cocktails they drink on that show??? Oh, man.)


Here’s what you need:
1 C cottage cheese
1 C Greek feta cheese
3 large cloves garlic, minced
½ C onion, minced
1 T dried mint
1 T lemon juice
1 box filo dough
Olive oil


Here’s what you do:
Saute the onions and garlic in a tiny bit of olive oil until tender and not brown. Mix the cheeses, veggies, mint and lemon juice with a fork. Mash it until it is completely mixed together.


Now the fun part! Carefully remove 1 sheet of filo dough, and brush it with olive oil. Carefully place a 2nd sheet on top and brush more oil on top. Carefully, fold the dough in thirds.


Place about 2 tablespoons of cheese near the top of the dough and carefully fold into a tight triangle. Brush with more oil and place on oiled baking sheet. Now, that’s not too difficult is it?


Be prepared for some mishaps and some torn sheets of dough, but don’t worry. You can always seam them together with oil and overlap them a bit. After baking, they come out in one piece.

Bake 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. Some cheese will escape during baking, but that’s OK.


Have you used filo dough? See my spanikopita here if interested in another use for filo. 

5 comments:

  1. These look so good...I finally tried puff pastry recently, now I need to tackle phylo! I love Greek food, and it's usually a healthy option as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using phyllo is not really that difficult, just be prepared for some to break and tear. I absolutely love it! I'm going to make a Greek type pizza soon with a phyllo crust and mozzarella cheese- doesn't that sound good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tracy,
    I'm Almond ("Amateur Cook Professional Eater") and I just replied to your comment in my blog. I saw your post for "tyropitakia" so I thought to visit you as well. They look veeery nice and I see that you are really good with the phyllo folding:-) Well done! Congratulations for your blog, is really nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!