Friday, March 4, 2011

salmon chowder



There are a few unusual ingredients in this chowder – namely, canned salmon and evaporated milk. Those are not my usual ‘go-to’ type foods. However, in this soup, they are fantastic. The end result is creamy, but not thick and globby like many types of chowder can be. Also, because you are using canned fish, the cost is very reasonable. I have actually been making this soup for many years, and the recipe here includes what I do to stretch out the amount. Serve this comforting soup with grilled cheese and you will have a complete meal.



Here’s what you need:
½ C chopped onion
½ C chopped celery
½ C chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 T butter
3 C chicken stock
1 C potato, cubed
1 C diced or sliced carrot
½ tsp. dill
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
1 15 ounce can cream-style corn
2 5 ounce cans salmon, drained


Step One:
Gently soften the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter. Don’t brown the veggies, just let them get soft.



Step Two:
Add the stock, potato, carrot and spices. Bring to boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.



Step Three:
Add the milk, corn and salmon. Heat gently.

Step Four:
Serve and enjoy.

(printable recipe)

5 comments:

  1. Will definitely be giving this soup a try. I love the taste of salmon and dill together . . it's one of my favorite combos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bev! Yes, salmon and dill are great together. This soup is ridiculously easy - tastes so good! I like that it is so economical also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm making this for the week! I like the idea of making it on one day and having it to warm up all week when I get home from class :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup is the perfect meal for you college kids! :) Thanks for the comment, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had to comment one more time to let you know I gave this a try. It was so good! This one is a keeper. Hubby kept saying "I like this and I don't know why" heehee. It's the salmon and the dill! Yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!