Monday, March 14, 2011

spice rack challenge – cardamom


I recently stumbled upon a fellow Michigan food blogger -Mother's Kitchen -  who has designed a really fun project called ‘Spice Rack Challenge.’ I’m on board a few months late, but excited to participate. Currently, there are 25 of us participating. Each entry must be posted the third week of the month, so you can look forward to reading about my spice adventures then.

Since I decided to join this group on the spur of the moment and the deadline for posting was looming, I went with something very easy and obvious for my first challenge – Cardamom Coffee Cake from the Moosewood Cookbook. I have made dozens of things from all the Moosewood cookbooks, but never this coffee cake before. Killed two birds with one stone on this one.


(you know the Julie and Julia movie, where Julie cooks every recipe in Julia Child’s cookbook, well I could do the same for the Moosewood cookbooks……. Do I hear another challenge?)



Here’s what you need – and don’t blame me about the pound of butter!
4 sticks of butter
2 C packed light brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 T cardamom
2 C sour cream

For the nut mixture:
¼ c light brown sugar
1 T cinnamon
½ C chopped nuts (I used pecans today)



Here’s what you do:
Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. I used the standing mixer for this part of the recipe only – the rest is better done by hand to avoid overbeating.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cardamom. Add this dry mixture to the butter mixture alternating it with the sour cream. (half the flour then half the sour cream, etc) Don’t overdo the mixing.



Spread 1/3 of batter in a well-greased bundt pan – I always highly recommend Pam for Baking! One of my favorite products on earth – and that’s a lot of products……

Then sprinkle half of the nut mixture over the batter. More batter, more nuts, end with batter….
Bake in a 350 degree oven for at least 1 ¼ hours. Cool in the pan before attempting to remove it. Some comments on the internet mentioned that the cake dries out all of a sudden if over baked, so watch it closely.

Place a baking sheet in the oven one rack lower than the coffee cake – it overflows while baking!!



I love bundt cakes and here’s the proof:

3 comments:

  1. You know I would be in on that challenge! Have you ever been to the restaurant? It's so delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty cake...and I love cardamom! We got hooked on chai tea latter when we vacationed in NYC last summer...and it has quite a bit of cardamom in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! It looks delicous but it's a huge recipe. I'll have to try downscaling it for my mini bundt pan.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!