Saturday, October 28, 2017

Avocado Potato Toast with Almond Hollandaise

Vegan Month of Food 2017
"Lines and Light" 
(a line or two of original poetry or a photo of Michigan light every day in October)
Day 28: Brunch

I served my Avocado Potato Toast on a lightly dressed chopped salad.

Did I invent Avocado Toast? No. Did I invent Avocado Potato Toast? I was hoping so, but a quick google search reveals other home cooks who have already put these two favorites together. (But truth be told, mine was pretty delish! We scarfed.) 

The hollandiase was simple and very lemony and light. It would be great on a tofu scramble or even in a falafel sandwich. 

The star of the meal is the huge roasted potato chip. Bake it till it's nice and crispy. 

(Below, is today's photo of beautifuul Michigan light. Taken at Art Prize in Grand Rapids in 2015)
"Me and Starry Light"
Here's what you need:
large russet potatoes, sliced lengthwise about 1/3 inch thick. Use only the nicest pieces for the best 'chips' . Drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast at 400 degrees until golden. Flip them over once in a while. 
ripe avocados
ripe tomatoes

For the hollandaise: (recipe from Hot for Food)
1/2 C raw slivered almonds
1/2 C soy milk, plus more to thin
1 T coconut oil
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
2 T nutritional yeast
1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 t trumeric
pinch of salt

Put all the hollandaise ingredients in a high speed blender and continue to blend until it is completley smooth and emulsified. Heat super gently on very low heat, adding more milk if necessary. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I've never heard of potato toast before, so you get full credit from me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!