Monday, October 23, 2017

Best Vegan Tacos with Perfect Lime Slaw

Vegan Month of Food 2017
"Lines and Light"
(a line or two of original poetry or a photo of beautiful Michigan light every day in October)

Someone I know is broken
Life is too heavy for him
But as long as one blade of grass pushes up
I will believe in the goodness of life and hope for a new tomorrow
Grow, grass. Grow.

Day 23: Fancy


Oh, how I fretted over today's theme of 'fancy.' I just couldn't pull myself together to create a 'fancy' meal -- you know the type: served on the china stored away in the basement, maybe served with a chilled sparkling wine.... Nope, I just didn't have it in me this time around....so, I made tacos. Amazing vegan tacos with perfect lime slaw. Fancy enough for Sunday afternoon. 

Here's what you need for the taco meat: (from Pinch of Yum)
3 C chopped cauliflower
2 C raw walnuts
2 chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce (I used 4 and it wasn't too many for our taste)
1 T chili powder
1 t cumin 
1 t salt (which I wish I had left out....)

Here's what you do:
Blend all in a food processor and bake on a greased sheet at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, stirring at the half way mark

Here's what you need for the Lime Slaw:
6 C slivered cabbage
1 jalapeno, diced
1 red pepper, sliced thinly
1/2 C red onions, sliced thinly
1/2 C pepitas
4 T olive oil
2 t lime zest
2 T lime juice
2 t agave
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 C cilantro

Toast the seeds for about 5 minutes. Whisk the dressing (zest, juice, agave, oil, salt, pepper. Pour over salad ingredients and mix well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!