Monday, July 12, 2010

crab puffs


Crab Puffs
I served these light crab puffs with my tomato appetizer pie last night for dinner. A nice side treat on a pretty summer plate.

Mix:
1 can crab meat (drain it first)
1/2 C sharp cheddar cheese
3 chopped green onions (very small)
1 t Worcestershire sauce
1 t dry mustard
a few dashes of hot sauce is nice here also

If you've never make a puff pastry, the first time can seem like you're making a mistake. Just keep going until it all gets incorporated - trust me, it will!

Combine 1C water and 1 stick butter and 1 t salt in medium pot until butter is melted and water boils. Remove from heat.

Quickly and all at once add 1 C flour. Stir until a ball forms.

One at a time, add 4 eggs, stirring well after each addition!

Add crab mixture.

Drop by 1/2 t onto ungreased baking sheet.

Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees and then 10 more minutes at 350 degrees. ( I noticed that 10 minutes seemed too long, so be sure to watch them during that second part.)

I ended up freezing lots of these - this recipe makes a lot! I shaped them on baking sheets, froze the sheets, popped them off carefully, and stored them in plastic bags. I suppose to cook them from frozen I will bake at 350 degrees only for maybe 15 minutes.

This recipe comes from an old cookbook that I continually return to called "Clock Wise Cuisine" published by the Junior League of Detroit in 1986. I can picture women making these for cocktail parties or fancy luncheons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!