Thursday, July 8, 2010

oatmeal bread


Oatmeal Bread
I’m not overly confident when it comes to baking with yeast, but this bread was super simple and oh, so satisfying!
In a large greased bowl, place 2C old fashioned oatmeal. I suppose you could use quick-cooking, but somehow that doesn’t seem like it would be as chewy and authentic.
Cover with 4C boiling water.
At the same time dissolve 2 pkg yeast in 1C lukewarm water.
Let these sit for 20 minutes.


Add yeast to oatmeal mixture, plus 1C dark molasses, 2t salt, 6T melted butter.
Then add in 11-12 C flour. (I always use unbleached flour.)
Mixing this took some elbow grease! I eventually abandoned the wooden spoon and resorted to using my hands. (which, surprisingly, are now kinda sore)

I ended up washing the bowl, regreasing it (with canola oil).



Cover and allow to rise in a warm and cozy place for 1 ½ hours.
After 1 ½ hours, punch down and allow to rise for another hour. (You can only make this type of bread when you have all day to enjoy the process.....)


After the hour has passed, turn the dough out onto a floured board and punch down - no kneading. Let the dough rest for 10 full minutes.
I love this beautiful color!



Create three loaves in greased pans. Bake 350 degrees for about 45-50 minutes.



This made the most delicious grilled cheese for dinner and was great toasted with
butter and honey this morning for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!