Thursday, August 5, 2010

blueberry pound cake


Blueberry Pound Cake

Pound cake has to be the most satisfying of cakes. It is dense. It is rich. It is sweet. And it is ridiculously buttery. I think original (and maybe current) recipes are made with a pound of butter, a pound of sugar, a pound of flour - hence the name....
I use a recipe that has much less of all that at no cost to the flavor. You will need a bundt pan that's in pretty good shape if you want it to come out nicely. The best product I have found for preparing a cake that you want to unmold is Pam for Baking. It works great! I think there is flour in the spray along with the oil..... I've never had that frustrating moment when your cake splits in two because half of it is sticking in the pan if I use that product.


Here's what you need:
1 C butter
3 C sugar (today I used only 2 C and it was fine)
6 eggs
3 C flour
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1 C sour cream (today I used fat free - seems great to me! Why not cut a few calories?)
2 t lemon extract
2-3 C blueberries
Here's what you do:
Mix the butter and the sugar for a full 5 minutes. See how light and fluffy it gets?
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
Add the lemon extract.

Add 3/4 of the flour, soda and salt mixture.
Add the sour cream.

Mix the remaining flour with the blueberries and gently fold them in to the batter. Gently. Pour batter into a greased bundt pan.

Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes at 325 degrees. Today I made mine in small decorative molds and they turned out very pretty. I had to watch them closely toward the end. My small pans were done in about 50 minutes.

Allow the cake to cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Turn it out with great confidence! Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.

Pound cakes will serve up to 20 people - they are very rich. You can serve them with fresh fruit or even toast slices of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!