Monday, August 30, 2010

cauliflower-cheese pie with potato crust


Cauliflower Cheese Pie with Potato Crust

Can you name a cookbook that has changed the way you cook and eat? For me, it has to be the Moosewood Cookbook, by Mollie Katzen. I use the 1992 edition and I am continually fascinated by the flavors and methods she uses. I return to this cookbook often and I am never disappointed. My favorite vegetarian dishes and my favorite soups come from her cookbook. Probably my favorite dips and sauces also...... enjoy!
Here's what you need:
2 medium potatoes
2-3 small onions
3 eggs
2 C grated cheddar
garlic
1 medium cauliflower
1/4 C milk
olive oil, thyme, basil, salt, pepper
Here's what you do:
grate the potato, 1 onion and 1 C cheese in a food processor and mix together along with an egg white. Oil a pie plate and use your fingers to shape mixture into a crust...... it will work, trust me.

Bake 400 degrees for 30 minutes. (then turn the oven down to 350 degrees)

In the meantime, chop the cauliflower and onion in small pieces. Saute in a small amount of oil until deliciously golden. I also add bits of water to help the cauliflower soften. This process will take 20 minutes or so.

Add the garlic toward the end and also the seasonings. (1/4 t thyme and 1/2 t basil)
When the crust is done and the cauliflower is soft, mix the 2 remaining eggs, 1/4 C milk and 1 C cheese in a bowl. Add the cauliflower mixture and stir well.

Pour cauliflower mixture in the crust and bake for 30 minutes or so at 350 degrees. Allow to cool for a bit before cutting.

I've changed the method a little from the original recipe - I think my way is a bit less complicated than the original and equally as good.

This is perfect with a garden salad or a grilled chicken breast.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I love cauliflower and I love this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like something I'd really enjoy, but can't get hubby to eat cauliflower for some odd reason!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!