Friday, August 27, 2010

irish soda bread with golden raisins


Irish Soda Bread with Golden Raisins

The finished product you get from this recipe is delicious! Toasted and drizzled with honey.... it's out of this world! You only need about an hour to make this bread from start to finish, but it's much better if you let it sit a while before slicing.
Here's what you need:
2 C flour (I always use unbleached)
1/4 cup toasted wheat germ (this comes in a jar, already toasted)
1 t baking soda (make sure it's fresh)
1/2 t salt
1/2 stick butter, very cold and cut in small cubes
1 C golden raisins - these are more tangy than regular raisins and perfect in this bread
1 C buttermilk OR plain yogurt (I used yogurt today)
Here's what you do:
Mix the dry ingredients.
Add the cold, cubed butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the dry mixture starts to look more like clumps of sand. Keep going until the butter is evenly incorporated into the flour mixture.
Toss in the raisins and then add the buttermilk or yogurt.
Stir with a wooden spoon. I always have trouble getting all the dry part fully incorporated into the wet.... I end up leaving a bit of flour in the bowl.
Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead for only 1 minute - I find I have to add flour to the board during this part --the dough is soft and kinda wet.

Place dough on a floured baking sheet.

Cut a shallow X across the top of the loaf.

Bake for 35 minutes at 400 degrees.
This recipe is from a very old Gourmet Magazine. The note in the article says the recipe comes from County Cork in Ireland, so it must be pretty authentic. Try it and let me know what you think. It's one of my son's favorite breads toasted for breakfast. I go through a box of golden raisins often and I think you will too!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you Tracy!!! I have been looking for this recipe for years. They don't even have this recipe on the Gourmet website. I would make it every year and give loaves to friends and family. I lost the magazine that had the recipe in it, and have been trying to recreate it from memory, with varying results.
    I cannot tell you how much this means to me. Happy St patrick's Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment - I LOVE this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1/4 what of the wheat germ? Cup? Tablespoon? It doesn't say. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Adina! Thank you so, so much for pointing out the omission in this recipe! I have fixed it up there... for your info, it is 1/4 Cup of wheat germ. sorry..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have been looking for this recipe for years! I searched the Gourmet Magazine website, too and couldn't find it, there either. I used to make it all the time, and it is the best Irish Soda bread recipe of all time. You have made me a very happy person, and I can't wait to make this recipe again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the great comment! I also love this recipe! I've been making it for years and years. Enjoy:)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!