Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Strawberry Cupcakes

V is for Variety and M is for Muffin….or is that Cupcake?





Welcome to the Vegan Month of Food (VeganMoFo)  I intend to post 20 times during the month of September – all about vegan food. Check out the gals who organize the project here, and search out other fantastic vegan bloggers. I decided on the theme of “V is for Variety” because, honestly, once I quit the chicken breast – my food choices exploded! Join me!

What’s the difference between a muffin and a cupcake? One is for breakfast and the other is for dessert? Not in my book; I like them both at all hours of the day.

These were excellent and came directly from “The Joy of Vegan Baking,” by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. They were surprisingly tender and the strawberry taste is very prominent. Isn’t that raspberry just about the cutest thing you ever saw?

Here’s what you need:
1 ¾ C white flour
1 t baking soda
1 C granulated sugar
½ C canola oil
1 T distilled white vinegar
1 t vanilla extract
8 ounces frozen or fresh crushed strawberries

Here’s what you do:
Mix the flour, baking soda and sugar. In a different bowl, combine the oil, vinegar and vanilla. Add the strawberries. Carefully pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently mix – do not overmix.
Scoop into prepared cupcake tins, about half way full – I use cupcake liners and spray them. Bake for about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Cool completely before frosting.



Buttercream Frosting:
½ C Earth Balance nondairy butter – room temperature
2 C powdered sugar
1 ½ t vanilla
2 T nondairy milk
Food coloring

Strawberries or raspberries to decorate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!