Sunday, September 8, 2013

Warm Lentil Salad

V is for Variety and P is for Puy 



Welcome to the Vegan Month of Food (VeganMoFo)  I intend to post 20 times during the month of September – all about vegan food. Check out the gals who organize the project here, and search out other fantastic vegan bloggers. I decided on the theme of “V is for Variety” because, honestly, once I quit the chicken breast – my food choices exploded! Join me!

Have you discovered the French lentil, also called Le Puy?  I found them at the local health food store and I’m thrilled! They have the most beautiful blue-green color and a really gorgeous dark swirl running through them. They take longer to cook than the more common brown or green lentil and what’s really special about them is that they retain their shape. You are left with a great toothy bite and chewy feel - perfect for salads.  And with 30% of their  calories from protein, you can’t beat them! Lentils are super high in daily iron and they help lower cholesterol. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals, like folate and magnesium, plus - they are super cheap! Love your body - Eat lentils! 

This salad is perfection! If you like lentils, you will LOVE this! And if you are a Dijon lover - you MUST make this! I do suggest serving it with something plain because the dressing is really tangy and tart. I shredded a yellow squash and a carrot and I chose not to dress them, which was perfect. A side of rice or beans would work as would a simple green salad, but again, I suggest that you don't over dress it. 



Here’s what you need for 4 servings: 
¾ C French lentils
1 bay leaf
1 ½ C vegetable stock or water with some vegetable bouillon
1 T olive oil
1 onion, diced
1-2 carrots, diced
1-2 celery, diced
4-5 sun dried tomatoes, diced
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T Dijon

Here’s what you do:
Rinse and sort the lentils. Simmer them with the bay leaf in the vegetable stock for about 40 minutes. Drain the excess water.

In the meantime, sauté the onion, carrot and celery until soft and starting to get some color. Add the sun dried tomatoes. Set aside.

Whisk together the red wine vinegar and Dijon. Combine everything gently and enjoy! Best served warm. 

(printable recipe) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!