Thursday, July 14, 2016

Sweet Red Pepper Candy


A few years ago, when red peppers were on sale at my local grocery, I purchased 20 or so and I'll never forget the reaction of the cashier and the bag guy. "What are you going to do with all those peppers?" they asked, incredulous.

I think my answer was a teeny, tiny bit snarky, and feel free to agree with me.  "Eat them," I replied.

Here's a delicious and quite gourmet way to use 7 peppers. Sweet, crunchy, chewy, and beautiful to boot. I gave all mine away as gifts, (Boo Hoo, Sob, Sob) so I'm just going to wait for the peppers to go on sale and make more.


Here's what you do:
Clean and slice 7 red peppers in about 1/2 inch lengthwise strips
Drizzle 1/2 C real maple syrup over the peppers and massage it in
Arrange on trays of dehydrator (My dehydrator has 4 trays - adjust quantities if needed)
Dehydrate for 24 hours (check them and maybe turn some over if needed as the hours tick away)

I started dehydrating mine at bedtime, so in the morning I could begin watching them more closely. I always dehydrate in the garage so I don't have to listen to all the noise and deal with all the extra heat that my dehydrator produces.

Try this! It's amazingly easy and so gourmet!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!