Friday, September 6, 2013

Japanese Soba Noodles with Toasted Sesame Dressing

V is for Variety and J is for Japanese Soba Noodles



Welcome to the Vegan Month of Food (VeganMoFo)  I intend to post 20 times during the month of September – all about vegan food. Check out the gals who organize the project here, and search out other fantastic vegan bloggers. I decided on the theme of “V is for Variety” because, honestly, once I quit the chicken breast – my food choices exploded! Join me!


Getting sick of all the peanut sauces on every Asian noodle salad? Me, too.  I love those dressings, but I was ready for a change and I think I found it. This was especially great on a super-hot evening. I messed around with a few dressings and ingredients from various places and came up with this beautiful salad. Light and cold and refreshing. Totally satisfying. I will save the peanut butter sauces for winter when I crave something more substantial. No kidding, this was excellent.

Here’s the scoop on this great salad:
Japanese soba noodles (aka buckwheat noodles), cooked according to package. Drain and rinse them.
Grated carrots
6 ounces snow peas, blanched and cut in pieces on the diagonal



½ seedless cucumber, grated and wrung dry in a clean cloth
 Scallions, white and green part, sliced
Firm tofu (optional) (I used Wildwood Teriyaki Tofu), about 6 ounces, cubed
¼ C chopped fresh cilantro






For the dressing, whisk all this together.
¼ C rice vinegar
1 t sugar
1 T fresh ginger, grated
1 T honey
2 T soy sauce
1 T toasted sesame oil
2 t hot chili sauce 
2 T canola oil

1 comment:

  1. I like soba noodles with sesame dressing. I like the make a big batch of these in the summer with lots of fresh veggies and take it for lunch during the week!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!