Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Potato Crust Pizza

V is for Variety and Y is for Yes, those are potatoes in that thar pizza!



Welcome to the Vegan Month of Food (VeganMoFo)  I intend to post 20 times during the month of September – all about vegan food. Check out the gals who organize the project here, and search out other fantastic vegan bloggers. I decided on the theme of “V is for Variety” because, honestly, once I quit the chicken breast – my food choices exploded! Join me!

Really exciting news for me last week! My Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookie post made the VeganMoFo Round-up! BAM!  I couldn’t believe my eyes! Check it out right ….HERE…. I am pretty geeked about this! So fun! And such a great recipe from Post Punk Kitchen, so you know it’s a winner!

These guys are really good.....but only consider making them if you like a hit of spice!


I also messed around with a potato crust pizza twice last week – topped it once with roasted tomatoes and onions and the next night with fresh tomatoes and summer squash from my garden.


Check out the size of those beets!

Shred some Yukon potatoes and onions. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for about 10 minutes. 



Wring out every bit of water from the potatoes, add some grated garlic, salt,  pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and some vegan parmesan cheese.


Bake for about 20 minutes in a cast iron skillet and carefully flip over! It took lots of patience and some fiddling with a metal spatula. Oh, so worth it. 


 Slide the crust back into the hot skillet and voila! Put on your toppings and bake for another 10 minutes or so. I do not recommend any kind of sauce because you want to keep that nice crispy crust. 

The inspiration for this excellent pizza came from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen. Thanks Beate!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, rösti meets pizza - I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for making the veganmofo page! The cookies look awesome! That is very creative what you've done with the potatoes for a pizza crust!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so eat this if it was covered in mozzarella cheese. Lol. I can ditch the chicken breast it's the cheese I struggle parting with. I like the base idea though, it's like a big hash brown, yum. Congrats on your cookies, they look great too. I think you've got this vegan thing down. Thanks for your comment, I feel so much better today. I think it would have hurt less if he just pulled it. Lol. Hope you have a wonderful weeknd.
    -Gina-

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!