Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Vegan Zucchini Parmesan

Vegan Month of Food 2017
"Lines and Light" 
(a line or two of original poetry or a photo of beautiful Michigan light every day in October)

It's Raining
Two days of constant rhythm
Grey. Slate. Iron. Fatiguing.
The cold bleakness offers some warmth, though
a tiny rubber boot
wet bangs stuck to foreheads
puddles under reluctant dogs
open umbrellas propped against a bookshelf
Sated trees thankfully lifting October arms 

Day 25: Best Friend

I made a lovely zucchini parmesan for my best friend tonight. I've been making dinner for him for over thirty years and I never get tired of setting the table, placing a plate of homemade food before him, and sitting together after a long work day. Sometimes we talk. Sometimes we eat in silence. It's all good. In fact, it's awesome. 

I LOVE the New York Times method of prepping the zucchini. Slice it thinly lengthwise (maybe 1/4 inch), place on lightly greased baking trays, brush lightly with olive oil,  and roast at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes, babysitting and flipping the strips over if needed. 


Use an excellent quality sauce and the best quality vegan parmesan cheese. This excellent casserole freezes well. I have a huge one waiting in the freezer for Thanksgiving weekend. 

Also, consider prepping the pasta a bit before plating. Here, I sauted garlic and hot pepper flakes. I added water and white wine, Lawrys Season salt and lots of dried parsley. These simple additions create an excellent pasta side dish. 

3 comments:

  1. That looks so good - keeping one for the freezer is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you freeze zucchini it does tend to get a bit juicy, so you need to bake it a bit longer. This doesn't effect the end result tho. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my Living Cookbook! I appreciate each and every comment!